Monday, May 13, 2013

The Future, also known as: What the fuck am I going to do with my life?

That's a really good question. I don't actually have an answer. But, let's talk about some of the things that I've considered doing in the past.


  • The veterinarian. I was never a child that wanted to be a ballerina or a singer. When I was in second grade I could neither dance or sing. I still can't really do either. I wanted to heal animals. So, when "What you want to be when you grow up" day rolled around at the age of 8, I went to school with a stethoscope, a stuffed dog, and my mother's lab coat that was about fifteen sizes too big for me. This was my dream until we had to put my grandmother's dog down. I decided that I couldn't work in a veterinary office. I liked animals too much to kill them.
  • After being a vet clearly didn't work out for me I became obsessed with wanting to be a forensic scientist. Blame the television show CSI. I still consider switching my major to criminal justice, but after touring a crime lab I realize that doing so would be really dumb. Most criminologists work until they basically die over their work, so there aren't ever any openings anywhere. Plus who wants to spend their days dressed up in plastic sheeting so we don't drop a hair at a crime scene and accidentally get convicted of murder? Not me.
  • At the same time, joining the CIA was always an option. I was that child. I wanted to run around with a gun and a badge and kill bad guys like James Bond. I was a little fucked up as a child, if you couldn't already tell. But the idea of running and having to pass physicals and be one of those people that worked out sort of turned me away from trying to work for the government. Plus it's the government. I probably get paid more as a journalist than I would for government work.
  • And then there were the days I swore I would go to Med School. That was funny.
But now here I am, working at a newspaper as a photographer and studying for two extremely pointless degrees. English, creative writing, and Spanish. The fuck? What the hell am I going to do with those degrees? I don't want to teach at anything below the collegiate level. Do I go to school and get a masters in creative writing? What the fuck will I do with that?

I'm creating a website for photography. Business cards, those too. Do I try to get into sports photojournalism? Or weddings and portraits?

Do I actually want to even fucking write books? I haven't written one in something like four years. Can I actually take good photos? I have no idea.

HELP. 

Do I go into photography? Do I go to school for 4 more years? Do I write books? What the fuck am I actually going to do with my life?

I legitimately don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment