Friday, May 10, 2013

Getting inked needs to mean something, or: the backstory of my tattoo

They tell you to get a tattoo in a place that's easily hidden, which is exactly where I got mine: My upper arm. Four lines of text, it's about as wide as my hand and placed so that I can easily read it.


Since most of my sleeves happen to cover the tattoo, people generally don't see it. I have noticed, however, that when the sleeves come off for parties, everyone is suddenly intrigued by it. Which I suppose is no big deal, but I always feel the need to explain it whenever someone is curious.

I'm an English major. I have a tendency to like dumb poetry and classic novels. The four lines on my arm are actually two lines from a poem by Tennyson titled "In Memoriam A. H. H. Obit MDCCCXXXIII: 27" or simply "In Memoriam 27." The full text of the poem, so I can further elaborate:


I envy not in any moods
         The captive void of noble rage,
         The linnet born within the cage,
That never knew the summer woods:

I envy not the beast that takes
         His license in the field of time,
         Unfetter'd by the sense of crime,
To whom a conscience never wakes;

Nor, what may count itself as blest,
         The heart that never plighted troth
         But stagnates in the weeds of sloth;
Nor any want-begotten rest.

I hold it true, whate'er befall;
         I feel it, when I sorrow most;
         'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

It's basically a poem about how experiencing love no matter how painful the loss of the loved one or of the love can be, is better than holing yourself away to avoid feeling the pain. It is better to feel the love than never to have anyone to love or be loved by.

So not only is this my favorite Tennyson poem, the year prior to my getting this tattoo was a very rough year for me to live through. So much went wrong with friendships and love interests and family relationships that I started talking to a therapist. It was not a good year.

So I got this tattoo, having remembered this couplet for a very long time, to remind myself that loving, no matter how painful it can be, is better than not feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment