Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Making tea: If you want something, you'll find a way

Last night, around 1 in the morning (I'm not 100% positive on the time, but something around there. My phone was dead), I wanted a cup of tea. My allergies were bothering my throat and I was suddenly losing my voice. But alas, I was not at home. I did not have my shiny red tea kettle at my disposal. I was in a coworker's basement with a box of tea that I had just purchased at 7-11 a few hours prior to.

I didn't want to be rude, so I offered tea to the rest of the group. Three people took me up on that offer. I was now at the point of no return. I had promised tea, I was going to get that tea.

But this house was an all male house. And we all know how men fare in the kitchen. There was not a tea kettle. There was one massive pot that took me five minutes to find. I didn't want to microwave tea in a mug, because microwaved water is disgusting. So I put some water in the giant pot, dug out some plastic cups, and waited for the water to boil. That was the easy part. The tricky part was somehow going to be pouring the steaming hot water into a plastic cup without a funnel and without spilling all over myself.

But finally, after fifteen minutes in a kitchen that wasn't mine, I managed to produce four cups of black tea.

Moral of the story? If you want something, you'll find a way to get it.

Humans are adaptable creatures. We are capable of so many amazing things, so many things that other people wouldn't even dream of. But you need to understand that.

Confidence is the first step in attaining what you want. This isn't a tutorial on how to get it, but rather some observations. If you want to ask someone on a date, ask someone on a date and do it with confidence. It's attractive when someone goes for what they want. To others, to employers, to everyone. You have to know, for a fact, that you will pour the tea into the cup without spilling. And if you do, you wipe it up and keep going.

Start with a plan. If something goes wrong: Improvise. Wing it. Just because something alters does not mean that you will fail. It just means you have to try to get it from a different way.

And you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment