Saturday, May 11, 2013

Connection, or why ballroom dancers are great at sex

I recently was at a party. I was drinking, having a good time, laughing, the usual. And then I got involved in an intense conversation with the sibling of one of my old coworkers. By intense I mean we covered a very wide range of topics, ranging from majors to hometowns to hobbies, you get the drill. It was a good conversation and it got me thinking.

I started to think about the connections people have to each other. Alright, not connections like mutual friends or jobs or dumb things like that, but an actual physical connection. Like sex. Which ballroom dancers (as a generic rule) are good at. Well, at least the half-decent ballroom dancers. Newcomers might be better at other things, like sucking

at folding laundry.

I joke. But back to the point of things. Let me explain this.

Ballroom dancers are used to spending so much time with their partners. And that might not even be one partner. Take me,  for example. I've danced with so many men that my entire high school graduating class would be put to shame. But dancing with all of these people you learn to follow, you learn to be lead into things. You never grow accustomed to one person and how they do things.

You follow by touch. And that's not even sensual touching, guys, it's the simple hand to hand connection found in a latin lead. Confused yet? Go over to the nearest wall and put up your right hand like you're swearing an oath. Put your hand against the wall, now make sure your elbow is touching the wall. That's all it takes.

Now imagine that the stupid wall in front of you is a person. Someone that you're dancing with. I do this a lot since I never have anyone to actually dance with, so maybe I'm just weird. But in reality, this is the frame of a single latin dancer.

With a couple, this frame is like duct taping two pieces of paper together. The slightest movement of one person is felt by the other. Closing one's eyes and simply following the weight shifts of the other person, the slightest inch shuffled to the left or to the right, a step sideways or forward. Everything is felt, everything is responded to.

And I mean, do I have to point out the obvious? If a ballroom dancer can respond to you just by touching hands and elbows, if a dancer can move with you, following everything that you do and reciprocating, what happens when the clothes come off and bodies touch?

No comments:

Post a Comment