Wednesday, May 15, 2013

I should be sleeping, but I've been blessed with great people.

I have to be up at 8 AM. I should put my ass in bed. I should have been in bed three hours ago. What was I doing?

Standing on top of a roof, looking out into the city of East Lansing with some of the greatest people that I know. And it's not like they're the people that are going to cure cancer or solve world hunger, but they're the people that will make you forget about everything for a little while as you stand in a place that is virtually unforgettable.

These are people that will tell you to shut the fuck up, people that will listen to the best and worst music, people that will laugh with you and at you. But they're the people that will make you smile. Even if they're belligerently drunk and think that somehow you're pissing off the side of the roof with a magical (and suddenly sprouted) dick.

Yelling off the top of the roof and ignoring the rest of the world, if only for a moment. As you laugh with these people, share stories and jokes and make up really stupid haikus in the moment, you know that they don't know something about you.

Allow me to clarify. I'm a private person 95% of the time. I don't talk about who I like or what I do in my private time or how I feel about certain things. People can know me without actually knowing me. But there's something that I've felt the need to get off of my chest for a while, for about a year really, and I feel like this summer is a new beginning and it needs to be put out there.

A year ago I would have been standing on the edge of that roof, debating whether or not jumping off would be worth it.

Today I stood on the edge of the roof and felt the wind on my face and I smiled.

So much has changed in a year -- so many people have changed me. And I have been blessed with amazing people that would tell me, jokingly or not, to stop pissing off the edge of the roof and come back to join them.

To all of those people: Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment