Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Welcome to walking with a woman.

Today, while walking down the street at like 1 in the morning, some ass hole felt the need to shout at me from the window of his car.

I was wearing a long sleeve t-shirt and a poncho with flats and walking with a somewhat bigger male friend of mine, and this lovely work of a human being decides to ask "Where them hoes at?"

Being the wishful and ever hopeful person that I am (in which I sometimes try to have faith in humanity), I jokingly imagined that they were referencing my friend, who conveniently has the name of a gardening tool worked into his last name.

My friend looked over at the car and then back at me and asked a question: Are they talking to us?

I kept walking and calmly said "Welcome to walking with a woman. Ignore it and keep going."

They continued to remark on my legs and how, given the chance, they would supposedly "lick the shit out of my ass hole" -- which, hold the fucking boat on the dock, how the hell would that be enticing to anyone? What would even possess you to think of this when you come across a stranger at 1 in the morning walking down a poorly lit street? Would you say this to your girlfriend? I was more caught up in the 'why the hell would this thought cross your mind' portion than I was with the fact they were yelling out the window at me.

I was simply disgusted.

Half of me wanted to give them the middle finger and tell them to "eat this, you cowardly motherfucker," but the other half of me told my body to keep walking and ignore them. I chose the latter. Despite the fact my male friend was bigger than myself, I didn't want to cause any trouble. Having witnessed a mugging a week prior to, I was in no mood for any sort of action or dealings with the law.

Because we all know I could have easily beaten the shit out of some ass hole like that. I wasn't explicitly trained in martial arts, but I learn a lot from watching -- and I watched my brother do tang so do for seven or more years. I am deceiving in that manner apparently, knowing small amounts of self defense.

But the fact that I said "ignore it and keep going" was relevant in and of itself.

Society constantly demonstrates that sexism and misogyny and all around ignorant fucks are common.

I have to have people walk me to my car late at night so I don't get followed, harassed, or raped. Women have to ignore sexist and overly rude remarks about them so they don't cause trouble, get followed, harassed, or raped. Society teaches women to carry pepper spray and never walk alone, to ignore harassment, and keep walking.

Society does not teach men not to rape and not to harass.

If a woman walking down the street with a friend can blatantly ignore ignorant remarks as previously mentioned, then men are perfectly capable of ignoring a woman walking down the street enough to not shout these rude remarks at her.

There is something blatantly wrong with that picture.

Sometimes I feel inspired to purchase a paintball gun and to open fire upon the cars of those cowardly ass hats that choose to shout sexual things out the window to strangers.

Here's a tip: If you can't get out of your car, say it to my face, and then let me be the living shit out of you, don't open your fucking mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment