Saturday, June 8, 2013

Things that are useful to writers

Snuggies. I'm not joking. I own three of them. If you've ever noticed those nights when you leave your window open and it gets really cold, but you're too lazy to get up to shut the window because you might lose inspiration then you will appreciate the existence of a Snuggie. Or two. One of my snuggies has pockets. The other one has a little sweater pouch. The third one is really fuzzy with pockets. I have options, mother fucker. But they have sleeves. If you've ever tried writing when it's cold by putting a blanket over yourself, it doesn't really work. Either the blanket falls off or you can't write. Robes are totally meant for after shower, so don't even go there. Use a Snuggie.

Faulty Internet is probably your next best thing. If you're like me, you start to write and then you get distracted by something really stupid on the internet and it's probably the worst thing ever because then you get nothing done. However, if you don't have internet, or if your internet is like molasses, you would be less inclined to dick around. Unless you have a shit ton of research to do (Which, let's be honest, you should have already done), not having internet could be a very productive resource.

Alcohol. I have a bottle of vodka sitting on my night stand. I'm not even joking. Do I sit there and tip it back every night? No. That would be disgusting. Straight vodka? Maybe I'll make myself a martini or something every other week, chill out for a minute, and then get some stuff done. Alcohol relaxes me, makes me stationary, allows me to take a minute to think. All of the great writers, if you've noticed, were basically alcoholics. They clearly had something going on in there that worked.

Thesauruses are cool. Or chic. Or funky. Or happening. Kicky and fly. Because it gets quite dull if you simply use the same words over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. Know what I mean? Grab a freaking thesaurus, flip through it, and learn some new words. Now that doesn't mean that you need to do this for every word. But maybe every once and a while it could be some good practice.

Get a notebook and carry it with you. Scribble down notes. Write out character descriptions. Jot down things that people say, things that people do. Even if you think you might never use it. Chances are it might be able to help you further down the line.

A favorite pen. Or a favorite pen brand. Find something that you enjoy writing with, not something that you get stuck fighting with. This isn't a Bond/Villain rivalry here. This is a productive relationship.

Fall in love with what you're writing. Make love to what you're writing so that you never want to stop. Even if you get into a small little tiff, you will be able to work it out. A great man once said, all you need is love.

No comments:

Post a Comment