Thursday, June 6, 2013

I don't think that's in my job description?

In the past 6 months I have climbed an 8 foot fence, crossed creeks by using a giant log, run through the woods in pursuit of an ROTC group, crawled, climbed, and fallen my way through my job.All while carrying a really expensive camera that isn't technically mine. A few months ago I stood outside in the rain photographing a construction site, where I probably contracted bronchitis. Tomorrow I'm photographing baby otters. Next week, next month... who even knows?

What the fuck am I doing with my life?

Are these things even in my job description?

I haven't the faintest. Yet somewhere, underneath my grumblings about the cold weather and the rain and the inability to get certain people to talk to me, I enjoy myself. I enjoy wandering through the woods and climbing fences and running to work on a deadline. I enjoy the fact that I get to meet so many interesting people, so many new faces. I get to see these people when I go to class or when I cover a new event -- people start to recognize me.

In a sense it scares me. I went from being the most antisocial person on the planet to being in a profession that requires me to be completely immersed in social activity. I went from no job to working nearly full-time. I went from looking at photography as a hobby to look at photography as a potential profession, and I thoroughly enjoy every step I'm making in that direction.

Someone asked me once, whether or not I hated my job and the fact that it kept me working nearly non-stop, the fact that I had no idea what I was going to be doing tomorrow or over the weekend. My friends asked me whether or not I hated suddenly not having a social life, or not being able to pursue a hobby that I enjoyed.

I simply told them no. No I did not hate my job, no I did not hate the hours that I worked, and no I did not hate that I was suddenly busy. I fucking loved it. It was something that I suddenly became passionate about, something that, despite some of the losses, was worth it.

Besides: I don't engage in something that I find worthless.

Sure, it was stressful at times, it was hectic, I lost a lot of friends. Sometimes I want to rip out all of my hair and throw in the towel, but then I realize I don't actually want to do that. Where would I be if I quit? I would be out some great friends, good times, and experience.

Working where I work, I have so many amazing coworkers and so many opportunities. And after all, how many people get to say that they love their job and the people they work with?

No comments:

Post a Comment