Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Never been kissed: The movie

Remember that movie about a journalist that, at the age of 25, has never kissed a boy? Ridiculed in high school for being a nerd, basically no friends, supposedly needed a makeover? So she goes back to high school to cover the scene undercover in order to make it as a reporter.

Ignoring the last bit, full circle around to a nice little place we like to call: My life.

Meet Dani, a college-aged photojournalist weaving her way in and out of a university of 46 thousand students, armed with a camera, a shitty sense of humor, and something that people don't actually take seriously: She's never been kissed.

Tag line for a movie, right there. Somewhere, someone in Hollywood could be making another pretty penny off of the life of college students that, for lack of better term, don't get any.

People have this misconception that, as a woman, it's really easy to get laid. Step back for a minute: Have you met me?

Sure, you might be able to supposedly walk up to a random guy and say "Hey, have sex with me," but I need a little bit of a commitment before that were to happen.

Now that we got that off of my chest, to the actual point of this blog.

People don't believe me when I tell them I've never before in my life kissed anybody. I'm almost twenty. I'm like a fucking unicorn or something. They think that I'm either lying, exaggerating, or all around just an idiot.

Well I am doing none of those three things, although I may have my stupid moments.

Yet when they do realize that I'm actually telling the truth, they don't take me seriously. Not seriously as in "Oh, she's telling a joke," but seriously as in "How, as a human being, are you even possible?"

I feel behind on "the curve."

Apparently society has branded into the minds of everyone that if you're almost twenty years old and you still haven't kissed a single person, there's something wrong with you.

I'm sorry, there's nothing wrong with me. This isn't a case of missed opportunity. This is a case of me, throughout high school, simply not wanting to kiss anybody. I found nobody in my graduating class (or , let's be honest, in my home town) appealing enough to want to share spit with them.

Is that graphic? I'm sorry. But it's the cold truth. You should have seen my high school.

And now that I'm in college. One person has told me they don't see me as the significant other type, one person has told me the first person I date will be the person I marry, and most people look at me and tell me that there are a lot of opportunities for me to "get some."

I, first of all, have never come across one of these opportunities. Maybe I'm blind to them, which is probably accurate. Someone could be throwing themselves at me and I probably wouldn't be able to tell very well if they were being serious or not. Probably because the last person that supposedly wanted to date me was basically a big joke.

Regardless. I can't bring it upon myself to get smashed and go around kissing everyone in sight. I would be, upon sobering up, far too embarrassed.

Besides, even the journalist in that shitty chick flick ended up happy in the end. Maybe it just might take a little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment